Sales Tax Licenses

General Information

The City of Fort Morgan does not issue business licenses. However the City does require a City Sales Tax License for businesses who conduct retail sales within the City limits. Any business or vendor wishing to sell retail products in the City limits of Fort Morgan must first register their business with the State of Colorado, Department of Revenue. Then, depending on the type of business, they must submit the appropriate application to the City Clerk at Historic City Hall, 110 Main Street, to obtain the City Sales Tax License.

Review the information below that pertains to your area or type of sales to determine whether a specific application to the City is required and, if so, which one. If you have any questions, call City Clerk John Brennan at (970) 542-3963.

Types of Businesses

Use Tax

By City Code, use tax must be paid through the Building Department as part of the building permit process when construction and building materials, and motor and other vehicles on which registration is required, are not purchased locally. If products are purchased locally, the contractor must show proof of the local purchase to the Building Department.

Resources & Information